01 June 2010

News- and Note-worthy

Here are some articles that I have found interesting recently:

On Slate.com, a Muslim perspective on the French burqa ban. What I find most noteworthy about this article is the debate that goes on in the comments. I was saddened, but not too surprised, at the plethora of negative opinions and ignorant stereotypes posted about Islam. I was also disappointed that there were not more Muslim women posting their opinions.

From a few days ago in the New York Times, US Marine women sent out to win over Afghani women. I was fascinated by this story, and if I could quickly learn Pashto or Dari, a situation like this would be the only way I would ever consider joining the military. I was also fascinated by the similarities in what rural women are lacking throughout the world.

This was not posted recently, but I just came across it. Called "And I've Been to Morocco," it shows how differently people can view the same country. If you know me, you know how much I love Morocco, and love its people and its complexity (or ridiculousness...). The author, however, chose to focus solely on the negative aspects, and not try to dig beneath a surface observation and see the complex reality. Reading about her experience makes me sad that not everyone can love it as much as I do.

To end on a high note, Elton John successfully puts on a show in Morocco. His private life is his private life, and doesn't seem to affect the fans opinions.

No comments: